miércoles, diciembre 03, 2008

The Sony BDP-S350 Blu Ray player

This player is the easiest choice. Simple, slim, capable, superb quality.

It can play 1080p at 24 frames per second, so you should be watching films just as the studios intended them to be watched in movie theaters. This is not only better than your regular DVD version, but slower compared to 50 Hz systems... a 4%.

It's BD-Live compliant through a firmware update, meaning that it's finally the real thing, after a Grace period and Bonus View Period where players were not obliged to provide up to a 1 GB local storage capability, provided you buy a separate Flash USB memory, secondary video and audio decoders, Virtual file system and Internet connection.

What does all that mean for you now? Little, if not anything at all, since I don't know of any title coming with Live features. But tomorrow, who knows...?

So I bought this unit to operate with my Sony VPL-VW40 1080p/24f projector, and I found the HDMI link and operations to be smooth and very straightforward.

Just a warning note: in order to get multichannel sound when connected to a Dolby Digital/DTS enabled AV amplifier, do not forget to deselect default PCM downmix in both Dolby Digital and DTS sound settings. It took me a while to figure out why I was not able to get multichannel using my Sony STR-DB 930 receiver...